Job Posting TitleAccountant (Temporary)
LocationLos Rios Community College District (District Office)
Department LocationGeneral Accounting
The Los Rios Community College District (LRCCD) is the second largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The district’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the district offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios district office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work!
The district has approximately 4,000 employees throughout our four colleges and district office in dozens of different departments that provide welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees and community partners. Each and every district and college department strives for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and is focused on improving educational outcomes for the students we serve.
Our colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associate degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
The Los Rios Community College District’s Human Resources Department is committed to diversity, equity, and to ensuring an inclusive, thriving environment for all of its employees, students, and surrounding communities. To that end, the Human Resources Department is intentional in recruiting, hiring, and retaining diverse employees, to reflect the diversity of our colleges’ student populations.
Under direction with minimum supervision, performs complex technical and analytical accounting, budgeting, and other financial or statistical activities within a department of the business services administration. These positions are typically assigned to accounting, budget, payroll, insurance, student attendance, financial aid or other business areas where the technical nature of the job requires in-depth understanding of these functions thus, not all duties listed apply to all positions. [For a detailed job description for this Los Rios Classified Employee’s Association (White Collar) posting click on the “Job Description” Job Descriptions click here.]
“Los Rios Classified Employee’s Association (White Collar) Job Descriptions”.]
NOTE: Temporary classified positions are limited to 135 work days per fiscal year, per board regulation
• Adapts accounting and record keeping functions to computerized accounting systems.
• Analyzes records of financial transactions to determine accuracy and completeness of entries and makes additions and corrections.
• Establishes budget numbers and codes transactions to appropriate budget numbers.
• Provides technical assistance in the analysis of accounting and other fiscally related issues within the designated business services department and for other departments.
• Assists in the development of specifications; develops computer applications such as spreadsheet and word processing applications; and uses a variety of computer accounting and office software programs.
• Performs accounting duties in the overall establishment, maintenance and control of accounts, cash, and funds of the District, including management of vault activity and assists in department’s organization and workflow.
• Processes the collection of returned checks including maintenance of student records.
• Reviews transactions for compliance with District procedures, board policies, Education Code provisions and other State, Federal, and regulations.
• Prepares financial reports and analysis for accounting, budget, payroll, and personnel matters including reporting for categorical programs.
• Performs the annual closing and reopening of the District’s campus-based accounts.
• Audits contracts, and prepares reports to substantiate transactions prior to settlement as needed. Serves as a lead for Account Clerks and other staff.
• Maintains, and analyzes budgets, and prepares periodic reports comparing budgeted to actual costs including the preparation and submission of complex budget and journal entries.
• Prepares required analyses, working trial balances and other schedules required for the District’s annual audit.
• Computes taxes owed, ensures compliance with tax payment, reporting, and other tax requirements.
• Assists in the improvement of District fiscal processes and procedures.
• Uses budgeting, cost, general, property, and tax accounting systems.
• Inventories real property and equipment, and records description, value, location, depreciation, and other information.
• Reviews submitted grants and contracts for budget, contract language, and compliance issues, and request changes as necessary.
• May act as full-charge accountant for the bookstore including responsibility for cash management.
• May maintain store payroll records, including the preparation and processing of time sheets.
• May act as full-charge accountant for campus-based funds including college foundation.
• Performs related duties as required.
Work schedule will vary to meet the needs of the Athletics program.
NOTE: This is a classified temporary position. Temporary classified positions are limited to 135 work days per fiscal year per board regulations.
Total Hrs per Week/DayTo be determined.
EXPERIENCE: One year of technical experience in finance, budget and/or accounting, including experience in data processing applications.
EDUCATION: Completion of the requirements for a bachelor’s degree in business with a major in accounting or a related field from an accredited college or university; OR, satisfactory completion of 60 semester units of course work which includes elementary and advanced accounting, auditing, cost accounting, data processing and business law with three years of increasingly responsible experience in finance, budget and/or accounting.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)
• A completed LRCCD Classified Application (required).
• *Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required).
• Resume (recommended).
• Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
• Letter of Interest (recommended).
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
NOTE: Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
Also, Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents. A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
- Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
- Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
- It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Salary$18.75 per hour LRCCD Salary Schedules
Additional Salary InformationNo additional salary information to note
Beginning and/or Ending Dates
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours. Submission of applications are by midnight of the posting closing date.
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.