Northern State University seeks a Dean of the School of Education, a full-time, twelve-month position, to begin June 2018.
Qualifications: The successful candidate will provide visionary leadership of the school in support of the university's mission and vision. Candidates must possess: (1) an earned doctorate in education or a related discipline represented within the school from an accredited institution; (2) a record of strong teaching, research, and service; (3) at least two years of successful administrative experience with budget and personnel responsibility as a dean, associate dean, or chair (4) evidence of initiatives advancing both on-campus and off-campus enrollment; (5) experience collaborating with area school districts and other constituents; and (6) successful experience with curriculum management, academic assessment, and accreditation.
Responsibilities: The Dean will report to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs with the following responsibilities:
· Leading faculty/staff to anticipate and address student and K-12 school needs.
· Ensuring high standards in curriculum development, assessment, and accreditation processes.
· Promoting high quality instruction, student success, and faculty development.
· Preparing and managing budgets and overall administration in support of school's programs.
· Representing the school at local, state, and national meetings, and other outreach events.
· Providing leadership in the recruitment, retention, and evaluation of department chairs, faculty, and other personnel.
· Fostering research, scholarship, and grant writing with faculty and students.
· Demonstrating commitment to an inclusive, equitable, and diverse working and learning environment.
· Working collaboratively with the university's leadership team to advance the institution's strategic priorities, including the development of new graduate programs.
· Be an engaged partner in enrollment management, willing to work in partnership with the administration, colleagues and foundation in the areas of fundraising and grants and sponsored research.
· Have an entrepreneurial approach to curricular collaboration, development and strategic planning.
· Continue partnership with the South Dakota School for the Blind and Visually Impaired in preparing future teachers who may work with students with visual impairment and collaborating as a new facility is developed and built on the NSU campus.
The School of Education offers undergraduate degrees in elementary and secondary education, special education, health and physical education, sport marketing and administration, human performance and fitness, as well as psychology. Graduate degrees are offered in educational leadership and administration, counseling, sport performance and leadership, and teaching and learning. The school consists of approximately twenty faculty and eight staff members organized into three departments: Teacher Education, Counseling and Psychology, and Health and Physical Education.
Setting: Northern State University is a premier regional institution characterized by outstanding instruction, extraordinary community relations, and excellent extracurricular opportunities. NSU is consistently one of the best undergraduate public institutions in the Midwest by US News and World Report. It is organized into the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Business, School of Education, and the School of Fine Arts. NSU is fully accredited by NCATE/CAEP, NASM, NASD, NIBS, HLC, and CACREP. NSU is located in Aberdeen, South Dakota, a vibrant community in northeastern S.D. The city has a population of approximately 30,000 and is a retail hub for the region. The University enjoys a positive and strong relationship with the city and region.
Application: Review of applications will begin April 23, 2018. Position is open until filled with an anticipated June 25, 2018 start date. Applications should include a cover letter addressing the main qualifications, a curriculum vita, a brief statement of the applicant's philosophy of academic leadership, college transcripts, and contact information for three professional references. AA/EOE. All applicants are subject to a background check. For more information regarding this position and to apply, visit https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu. Click on "Northern State University" in the Quick Search section. The system will guide you through the electronic application form. If you have any questions related to the search, please contact Dean Joshua Hagen, Search Committee Chair (Joshua.Hagen@northern.edu).